January 29, 2011

The beginning of the end

Babylon and Other Stories by Alix Ohlin

Last semester at Lafayette… here I come! I’m a week into classes and already there is so much happening. Most of campus is covered in snow and it’s a fair workout getting from my room to classes. I’ve been planning out the rest of my thesis and the independent study in art I want to do this semester. I booked a flight to California next week to visit a graduate school and have to book one to Texas soon. I’m not one for resolutions, but I laid out a little challenge for myself to read a book a week this year and I started on that goal with Babylon and Other Stories by Lafayette’s very own professor Alix Ohlin. I just checked out Freedom TM from the college library to read for next week. I used to be a voracious reader as a kid and that’s  something I want to bring back into my life. And I’ve started a class where watching movies is actually part of classwork (isn’t that what all of college was supposed to be about).

Like most of my previous semesters this one too will be busy, but not with classes and homework. In fact most of my classes are either electives or independent studies and thus depend on how much time and effort I personally want to put into them. I will be traveling a fair amount though, meeting lots of interesting people and giving a lot of thought to what I want to do with the rest of my life.

Last night was the Presidential Ball featuring the George Gee band and it was an all round good time with lots of old friends. Though I was very tired by the end of it (and slept till noon today to make up for it), I was very happy I went. This year has been full of doing things for the last time and like all those things, the Presidential Ball was somewhat bittersweet. No tears were shed and lots of laughs were laughed, but along with many of my senior friends there was an unspoken feeling that this is something that we will never do again.

Moving on, I’m starting to get excited about graduate school. Some of my friends are already in, my roommate got his first offer yesterday and I’ve been getting positive feedback on my application from professors at places I applied to, so it’s all gradually working out. I think it’ll be about another month at least until I here back from everywhere I applied to and the last time I had to wait this long for anything was applying to college. Being very much a child of the instant-on, continually connected digital age waiting is not something that comes easily to me. This time around I can live with it, especially since I’ll be keeping busy.

The coming week ahead looks promising, but also with a lot that needs to get done. I have classes to add, homework to do, and independent studies to fix up all before leaving on Thursday for California. My next blog entry might very well be from the west coast or somewhere in-between as I’m flying back. It’ll be good to get away from the snow and the cold for a few days. Don’t get me wrong, I like the cold better than the heat and snow never ceases to fascinate me, but I do like some sun and warmth every now and then.

Here’s wishing a good start of the semester to my fellow seniors and a good week to the rest of you. And now I’m going to spend the next ten minutes trekking though Lafayette’s Winter Wonderful back to my nice warm and somewhat messy room (talking about my room, a professor told me yesterday that she heard that we have a “very sweet pad”. I’m not entirely sure what to make of that remark).

posted in Shrutarshi Basu