March 25, 2011

Here comes the sun

Spring break is over and it’s time to get cracking on the last stretch of schoolwork before graduation. It’s been a rather quiet Spring break for me, mostly because I was away all of the week before that. But like all good breaks it was actually quite refreshing with lots of good memories.

As I’ve learned from previous breaks trying to get any measurable amount of work done is simply futile. So while I did do some work, I certainly didn’t set myself any goals or stick to a schedule. However, I have gotten a surprising amount of stuff done, mostly in the form of errands and catching up. I managed to read two really good books: A Whole New Mind: Why Right Brainers Will Rule The Future and Flow: The Psychology of Optimal Experience. They’re both very good books for college students to read, full of important advice on how to shape our education and get the most out of our day-to-day work (both of which are important even beyond college).

I’m grateful for having had the chance to just sit and talk for hours with friends, both old and new. While school is on you usually don’t have very many open-ended blocks of time to just hang out. There’s generally something to be done or somewhere to be. But being able to have a long lunch and dinner and just talk (even if it’s about nothing in particular) is really fun and refreshing.

In other news, it has actually started to get warm and sunny. It’s still a bit chilly now and then and carrying a light jacket is probably a good idea, but it looks like Spring is finally in the air. The grass is finally starting to turn green and there are people sitting on the chairs and benches on the Quad again. I’d say it’s a good sign when Spring break actually coincides with the coming of Spring (though the last two days of ice and snow might convince one otherwise).

So Spring is here and my last college break is over. Oh well, we all knew it was going to happen at some point. The next few weeks do promise to be busy. My thesis needs to get done and the rest of my classes are all just about half way through. And the nice weather will make it increasingly difficult to stay inside and get work done. But I’ll deal with that when the time comes. For now it’s just good to see everyone coming back to campus again.

posted in Shrutarshi Basu