August 12, 2011

College Student’s Guide to Living in the City: Part Duex

Hey Blog Buddies!

I have obviously been neglecting you (not my fault, blame the lack of a decent internet connection). Therefore, there will be multiple posts this week as my internship is now coming to a sad close. While I am excited to return home to my friends and family, I will definitely miss this city and all the wonderful people in it. Be on the look out for other posts soon!

Here are more suggestions for easier living in the Big Apple:

Get A Good Book To Read

It never hurts to add a little culture to your life. And it gives you something to do if you’re riding the train or waiting in a restaurant. I’ve finished 3 books in the 8 weeks I have been in the city (which is a shock to me).

Need suggestions? I wholeheartedly recommend the Hunger Games series by the wonderful Suzanne Collins. It’s got a great story with lots of action and a touch of romance. Read it now before the movie comes out in 2012.

Keep A Budget

It is easy to overspend when you have stores and restaurants right as you walk out your front door. Keep a reasonable budget for yourself (i.e. bringing your lunch to work and eating out on the weekends). This way, you could save up money to do something you really want like a boat tour to the Statue of Liberty.

Buy Some Comfortable Walking Shoes

You don’t want to be distracted from all the wonders of the city because your feet are throbbing. TOMS or Keds are great since they are closed toed while not being sneakers so your feet still stay cool.

Take Advantage Of The Unlimited Metro Card

It will save you money. Do you need another reason?

Don’t Flash Your Electronics

Just as a rule of thumb. No one else needs to know you have an iPad, Kindle or any other fancy gadget. Don’t make yourself a target for pick-pockets by showing them what you have.

Grab Food at a Food Truck

It’s quick, convenient, and delicious. Most food trucks are actual restaurants trying to expand their businesses so give them a try. Don’t over look the falefel carts either! I have had some of my best meals at those carts for around 4 bucks.

This dumpling truck is always outside my office every lunch time. there is always a line so the food must be great!

Spend A Day In Times Square

There are endless places to eat and shop. Lots of beautiful pictures to take or be taken. Not something that you want to miss if you are staying in the city.

Times Square: Mickey, Minnie and Elmo were out saying hello!

Go See A Show

While Broadway may be a little too expensive, you could still see other local shows. New York is where the theater crowd lives, so take advantage.

Always Carry An Umbrella

Treat the weather just like you do when you’re on the Hill. It is completely bi-polar and may rain anytime. Better be safe than sorry and wet.

Keep A Journal, Diary, Blog, Etc.

The experience is going to go by SO FAST (trust me). Once you finish your stay, you will wish you had something to remember all the things that happened. Try to keep a weekly journal. A blog would also be a good idea since it allows your friends and family to see how you’re doing.

Special shoutout to Ms. Michele Tallarita for writing a wonderful article about my internship experiences for the Lafayette Website! Here is the link: http://www.lafayette.edu/about/news/2011/08/05/charnelle-pinkett-comedy-central-new-york-city/

As you can see, Mr. Cartman from South Park and I have become best friends over the summer. Maybe more than friends! :) 

posted in Charnelle Pinkett

tagged with , , , ,

1. Thanks for the shout-out, Charnelle! Looks like your summer was awesome :)

says Michele
    August 17, 2011 at 9:32 am