June 13, 2013

Nepali People, Mountains, and EVEREST

Mount Everest

I am going to start off with a dream of mine that I never thought would come true: seeing Mount Everest. You know that one mountain you hear about as a kid that looks out over the world at 29,029 feet? Well I saw it and it was just as incredible and majestic as one could imagine. But, I mean, you could describe my whole trip like that.

Phewa Lake in Pokhara, Nepal

I think it was the mountains and people that really did it for me. In western Pennsylvania, where I am from, there are mountains about 2,000 feet high and here in Nepal the hills are 6,500 feet high with mountains about 22,000 feet high. A huge difference.

Sunrise over the mountains at Sarangkot, Nepal

Rijan and I recently returned from a short trip to Pokhara and Lumbini. We went to a viewpoint called Sarangkot and were able to watch the sunrise over the mountains, something I was not able to see in Kathmandu because of constant cloud cover. Like seeing Everest, it was simply breathtaking.

View from a hotel in Pokhara, Nepal

We were able to take some time to walk along the lake there and see people working on a pathway ahead of us. More people were planting trees along it which Rijan said was for World Environment Day. I loved seeing the sense of community. It was not just there in Pokhara, it was everywhere we went. People work for themselves and their family but also for the greater good.

Silhouette of Rato Machhindranath (Rain God) chariot in Nepal

Silhouette of Rato Machhindranath (Rain God) chariot

Project BOMA has really given me a fantastic opportunity to come to a country halfway across the world and see how different life is. I have learned so much about the country, its customs, people, geography, and also myself. It takes courage to leave home and all of its comforts for a country and family-life that is completely different from my own. I wish everyone could experience everything that I have while being here in Nepal. From the motorcycle rides to the spicy food to the scenery to the festivals, it was all worthwhile to see. As we start our 24 hour journey back to America, I cannot help but reflect on my time here in Nepal. The experience as a whole was life-changing, truly life-changing and I will never forget it.

posted in Sarah Walko

tagged with , ,

1. Sarah has really captured vividly in words her first-hand experience of Nepal. Her reporting is very true and worth reading. I am myself from Nepal and I enjoyed Sarah’s reporting about my place.
    Thank you.

says Krishna Niroula
    July 30, 2013 at 11:16 am