November 12, 2013

Diwali and Family Weekend

It has been a long time since I last wrote. A lot of things have been going on during this time on campus. I was so busy enjoying those moments that I didn’t even get a chance to write about them. Diwali, ISA formal and Family Weekend were a few of the events.

Diwali- the Festival of Lights was celebrated two weeks ago with candles, rangoli (colored rice, dry flour, colored sand or even flower petal used to decorate the living rooms or a courtyard- it is a form of art used in the festivals), dances and authentic food! The event was beautiful. The dancers were dressed in Indian dresses; the beauty of the vibrant colors enlightened the room. And did I tell you I participated in the dance? Those who did not know about the festival were so eager to learn and those who did know couldn’t wait to start the fiesta and celebrate.

The dance song had a story to it and people were supposed to guess what it meant. I found it a very creative way to present a culture. It was a rather engaging way of teaching about the culture and its traditions. It was a fun time to hang out with students from different majors and disciplines as well as talk to some professors. I think this is a great way of learning about a different culture, socializing and getting to meet other people who are interested in the same thing.

I also want to share with you about Family Weekend. It felt different. Although I have been in US for a few years now and it is not unusual for me to miss my family, this Family Weekend I missed them very much and I kept thinking what Family Weekend would have been like if my family lived here and could come to visit me. However, I am not the only person on campus who lives far from family and I was not the only person whose family could not come. So it was nice to not be alone and have people who feel the same way. But overall, it was a good weekend. My friend Lisa, who is from Texas, had her father come visit her. She went to Philly with him and had dinner there where she invited some of my other friends to join them, which was nice as they got to know each other.

I also would like to mention that during Family Weekend, the students in the theatre program were performing Penelopaid. It was so very nicely done and I thoroughly enjoyed it. The interesting thing about this play was that all the characters, female or male, were acted out by females, which is not that common.

posted in Malahat