November 19, 2013

Turning 21 Here Really Doesn’t Mean Much

Elizabeth bun GET!

Elizabeth bun GET!

So another rather boring week this week I must say.  I really didn’t do much except for copious amounts of school work.  I did get to go on a food adventure though.  I love how Japan incorporates its best selling anime and manga series (this is plural ’cause there are thousands >.>)  in its convenience stores.  Right now, 7-11 is having a One Piece “Akuma no Mi” Berry Melon Pan special.  They kinda look like the devil fruits in the manga/anime One Piece….I bet they don’t any better than the akuma no mi either (the manga describes the akuma no mi to taste very, very mad).  Furthermore, Lawsons is having a Gintama (my favorite anime) special.  It is selling Elizabeth-faced pork buns.  I can’t eat pork because it makes me sick, but I bought one anyways just because it was Elizabeth.  The second I bought it I made the joke “I wonder if Takamatsu Shinji (The director of the anime and my favorite anime director) is in side?” Haha.  It’s funny I swear–you just have to know about the anime industry.

EJ Wanted PuriKura pictures

EJ Wanted PuriKura pictures

Anyways, my friend from Los Angeles came to Japan!  His name is EJ and he’s a really cool dude.  He is an anime industry dude.  He was also reaaaaaally intent on going to Akiba.  For some reason, every time I go to Akiba it’s never for myself, but for someone else’s sake.  I mean.  I guess I like Akiba, but I also don’t like it.  I don’t like how you can be in a perfectly normal electronics or anime/manga/merchandise store, walk up one floor and end up in a porn shop.  Ikebukuro is a bit better about this.  I mean…Ikebukuro’s problem is the people who hang around there, but you’re not going to accidentally end up in a store filled with porn.

HARO LATTE!!!!

HARO LATTE!!!!

EJ and I also went to the Gundam Cafe!  Again…..I got the Haro Latte ’cause look how cute it is!!!  I love latte art.  I have tried to make some of my own with Nyanko Sensei in the face, but it’s always really messy.  The way they make the foamed milk so neat and the design so neat…..I want their skills.  I also got a REALLY spicy curry dish and I was so happy!!!  Japan-spicy isn’t really spicy.  So I was pleasantly surprised when I ordered something spicy and it was actually spicy.  The woman at the counter warned me that it was spicy and I am like PSSSH BRING IT!!!  It tasted really good and the rice really leveled it out.

Two way camera shoot

Two way camera shoot

I also got to do a video shoot for my editing class this week.  We set up two cameras and had a lot of fun in the park behind our school building.  Our idea for the short movie was ridiculously crazy and is probably going to drive the editors crazy but whatever.  We had fun shooting and making the script.  It was actually a really good time and I had a lot of laughs doing it.  I have been pretty depressed lately….so this cheered me up a lot.  I can’t wait to see the final edits of our project too.

Birthday PuriKura

Birthday PuriKura

Uuuuuh, so it was my birthday on Monday.  I bought myself some cosplay as a present.  Jotaro Kujo and FREE!!!!  I was happy.  My friend Dianna took me out to dinner and Karaoke.  For someone who just turned 21 I didn’t really drink much of anything (bad American college student yo).  My housemate gave me some cheap 7-11 stuff at midnight and I had half a glass of something at Karaoke. I am not a big drinker.  Japan is actually a huge drinking culture though so haha I don’t fit in.  Dianna and her boyfriend got me some really cute gifts though.  Kazu got me a Nyanko Sensei calendar and Dianna got me a Shingeki no Kyoujin tea strainer/cup.

A Lafayette Grad/Friend from College is actually coming to Japan this weekend so I may see him.  I am also possibly seeing a high school friend again.  I have been slightly going crazy over some other stuff and with the end of the semester approaching I am scrambling while being stressed about a ton of things.  It’s midnight now though so I am going to stop this before I sound even more stupid.

Good night!

posted in Marlene First