November 22, 2013

Day Trips, Lafayette vs. Lehigh in London, and One Quick Lesson

Time keeps flying by this semester…it is unlike any other semester at college.  Final due dates are looming ahead of me and I only have so much time to plan all of the rest of the activities I want to do before leaving for the states.  If you do ever plan on going abroad, make sure to plan out as much as possible ahead of time!

This past Tuesday the Lafayette tour took us along the bank of the River Thames and we learned a bit about pirating and how the people dealt with perpetrators.  We also visited the Churchill War Rooms, which were quite spectacularly preserved.  The table in the Chief of Staff Conference Room, with green tablecloth, a candle, and a book The above photo is the Chief of Staff Conference Room.  Although it is difficult to see, the map on the right-hand wall is the original map used by the English Chief of Staff.

This weekend the Lafayette students have a very exciting trip planned.  On Saturday we will be traveling to the east coast of the island to see the Cliffs of Dover, Dover Castle, and Canterbury Castle.  For those of you who have read Geoffrey Chaucer’s Canterbury Tales, this is the Canterbury he writes of.

Now, I know what many of you diehard Lafayette sports fans are thinking: how will we watch the 149th meeting between Lehigh and Lafayette?! Fear not, it has been taken care of.  Interestingly enough, there will be a gathering of Lafayette and Lehigh alumni in London Saturday night at a modern British gastropub called The Cadogan Arms.  What is a gastropub? It is posh, to say the least.  We Lafayette students are fortunate enough to be able to join the alumni for some good old American football.  Needless to say my classmates and myself are extremely excited for Saturday (it is also my birthday – not a bad way to spend it)! Oh, and one last thing on this topic: ROLL PARDS!

Now, before I finish up this blog post I want to make a quick distinction because many Americans commonly make this mistake; I happened to have heard the misuse multiple times recently.  You know that famous bridge in London? You are probably thinking, “of course, the London Bridge!” Well, if that is what you are thinking, you are wrong.  The spectacular bridge in London, which you should really make a point of seeing if you are ever here, is actually called Tower Bridge.  Shown below, it is a remarkable piece of architecture, the construction started in the late 1800s and today there are two penthouses at the peaks of the towers…but I won’t bore you with the price tag on those.  Thanks again for keeping up with my blog posts – I will update you again soon!

Tower Bridge from the front, the building on the right hand side next to the green is the Tower of London, another famous site.

Here is Tower Bridge from the front, you can clearly see where the two penthouses are located and the beauty of the building.  The toothpick on the left is The Shard, currently the tallest building in the European Union.  Tourists can venture to the top of the building for the best view of London for a "small" fee.

Here is Tower Bridge from the front, you can clearly see where the two penthouses are located and the beauty of the building. The toothpick on the left is The Shard, currently the tallest building in the European Union. Tourists can venture to the top of the building for the best view of London for a “small” fee.

posted in Kenny Morse