December 18, 2013

Far out west (relatively speaking, of course)

Pennsylvania is big. It’s really big. I’m so far out from Lafayette and I’m still in PA. The drive to Johnstown was about four hours and I couldn’t believe how the view changes once you get out of Lafayette. It feels good, when you’re seeing snow covered hills in front of you and you’re driving towards them. Along the way, you could tell that people are pumped about Christmas. Local businesses put up “Happy Birthday Jesus” in big letters. People had put up the holiday decorations in their houses and yards, and the snow made it so much better.

When I woke up this morning, I realized I had slept for 10 hours. That’s something I haven’t done in a long time, a really long time. I look out the window and there’s this gorgeous view with snow on the ground, and more snow falling from the sky. It’s like what you see in scenic posters they sell in Kathmandu.

Fresh snow and green trees

Fresh snow, so beautiful.

It’s day one in Johnstown. I can’t wait to explore this side of Pennsylvania, and see the big incline, and the remains of the steel, and more snow, and Christmas, and the flood museum, and everything else.

posted in Rijan Maharjan