December 22, 2013

So I Accomplished 10 of My Life Goals This Weekend

Marlene First dresses in costume for cosplay with Yuri

More Gintama cosplay with Yuri

So I promised I would keep up with the blog.  I will try to as best as I can.  As study abroad is over and I am just wasting away the next month, I am trying to find things to write about.  I was also really busy with moving into my Nishi Shinjuku apartment.  It’s great to live alone.

But anyways, onto the real reason I am writing this blog.  Japan has done so much for me this semester.  I have realized a lot about what I want to do with my life, but it’s also helped me in terms of my hobbies and being happy.  I think that everyone has a bucket list, right?

The teacher character Korosense at the annual JUMP Fest

KOROSENSEI

Well for me, one of mine, since middle school, has been attend JUMP Fest.  JUMP Fest is an annual winter event held by Shueisha in honor of their many, many series.  Weekly Shonen JUMP is probably the most popular manga magazine in Japan and some of the series (Like One Piece and Naruto) are famous in the United States.  Studying abroad this semester (as opposed to next semester when I thought I was going to) is what enabled me to go this year.  I almost cried multiple times from the pure happiness I felt from being at this event.

Animated characters on a poster at the Makuhari Messe entrance

Makuhari Messe entrance

The night before, my friend and I decided to do more Gintama cosplay because it’s my favorite anime/manga as well as a JUMP series.  The event, like Tokyo Game Show and The Tiger & Bunny Stage Event, was at Makuhari Messe.  I hate going out to Chiba but it’s totally worth it.  We get there and have to change into our cosplay in a restaurant (I change in strange places in Manhattan so I am used to it) and then we go to the event space.  I was just so happy seeing the sign.  It was amazing!!!!  Going in, I felt my heart pounding and I was almost nervous.  And once  I was inside, I was overcome with the awesome.

A projection of the animated Gin-chan characters

Gin-chan <3333

There was just so much stuff.  So. much. stuff.  It was like someone took everything I loved and put it in one giant event space.  We took pictures of just about everything we saw and there were open events going on.  The event was free and most of the event space stuff was free.  For example, we were walking around and just happened to pass a live concert in the corner of the event space.  It also so happened that the live concert was my favorite band, The Sketchbook.  I never, ever, ever thought I would see them live before. I was almost in tears seeing Hiroshi and Yuu’s beautiful faces and Riko was just too cute.

The character Jotaro from the manga series Jojo's Bizarre Adventure

JOTAROOOOO

My friend and I also like One Piece a lot.  I watched One Piece because Nakai Kazuya, the voice of Hijikata in Gintama, was one of the main characters.  My friend and I walked right into a live stage event and got to hear him and the rest of the One Piece cast talk in a live stage event.  We got to see them LIVE.

It doesn’t really seem like a big deal to many, but it’s like seeing your favorite American idols live in front of you.  And since I am usually in America listening to Japanese seiyuu voice in drama CDs and anime, I don’t usually ever dream of being able to see my favorite seiyuus.

I also got to see Hirata-san again and Yamaguchi Kappei (and other seiyuu who are probably the most famous in Japan).  My friend got to see Sugita Tomokazu today…..I didn’t go the second day because I was really tired.  Sugita is also on my list of people to meet (ironically turned on my TV while writing this and his voice came up).  But yeah.  It’s alright though.  One day…..

I ended up watching Lupin vs Conan movie with my friend today and am doing more Gintama cosplay with her.  Christmas is coming up and I have no real plans except to sew cosplay and hang out with my friend on the 24th.  This coming weekend is Comiket, the biggest anime, manga, doujin, and industry event in Japan.  I am super excited.  So….until next time.

posted in Marlene First

1. Keep writing I enjoy your comments and your great spirit. We are looking forward to seeing you next month. Love Grand Pop

says David First
    December 29, 2013 at 11:20 am