March 29, 2014

I Survived Recital Week!

Hi Readers!

Wow, it’s been a while! Sorry for the delay! Most students here are the busiest during finals week. For me, while a finals week definitely brings its own level of anxiety, the craziest time of my year is recital week, and the weeks leading up to it. As co-president of the Lafayette Dance Company this year, there was a lot of planning and organizing for the performance, our ninth annual Spring Recital, as well as preparation so that I would not fall behind in my studies.

And good news – it all paid off! The recital was this past Friday and was a huge success. The audience was bigger than any other my time here and everything ran incredibly smoothly. I had many attendees, including family members, friends, professors, a ballroom-dance friend, and my employer! They were all blown away by the show; I heard nothing but praise from anyone that night. All the hard work by me, the board members, and all the dancers resulted in success! Like with most things that you spend so long planning for, it seemed to pass in the blink of an eye. By the end, I felt such an incredible mix of emotions. Relief, that it had all gone well and was complete. Sadness, that it was over! And awe, that all the pieces came together so magically and were so well received.

I thank God for answering all my prayers. Definitely a highlight of my year. While that was the culmination of the past few weeks, a lot of other stuff has happened between my last post and the recital! Here are some brief snippets:

• I had a handful of exams, and did well on all of them! More success – yay!
  • In my for-credit dance course, we had a guest teacher come in for two classes, Rebecca Stenn. She is a highly sought after dancer and teacher, and after having the opportunity to work with her, I completely understand why! She is an absolute delight and teaches in a way that can benefit everyone. Our classes focused on improvisation, something that has always somewhat scared me, so at first I was very hesitant and nervous, but there was no need! I got so much from these classes both physically and psychologically. She led us in a variety of exercises that were pleasurably challenging and surprisingly not intimidating.
Rebecca Murray and her friend, Carly, dance in a mirroring exercise

My friend Carly and I in a mirroring exercise

Rebecca Murray and another student dance in a counter-balancing exercise

And again in a counter-balancing exercise

• The week before break there was another dance performance at the Williams Center for the Arts, this time by Doug Elkins and his company. The first act combined dance with old-school comedy and clowning, while the second act depicted an adaptation of Shakespeare’s Othello, set to Motown music. Both of those pieces might sound extremely odd at first, and to be honest, it sort of was! I didn’t enjoy the show quite as much as the last, but I still liked it and was glad I attended!
  • For the first weekend of break, I went to Towson, MD to visit my sister and brother-in-law for a few days! I hadn’t seen them in a while, and was SO excited. We did so many fun things! I think that part of their excitement for my visits is the excuse to do fun, cool things that they may not do otherwise. Among other things, we watched Frozen (for the first time! It’s a sister movie), ate the most amazing donuts… You haven’t experienced a donut until you’ve been here:
Six fresh donuts in a box, five of them covered in chocolate

Donuts from the “Fractured Prune”. Yes, we shared a half dozen donuts. My favorite was ‘morning buzz’ – mocha glaze with crushed oreo topping. All hand-dipped right in front of you! And hot out of the oven. =)

Had dinner at RA Sushi… Again – amazing food. Really neat chic atmosphere too:

Sushi

Sushi

Cinnamon tempura gelato

Cinnamon tempura gelato

Went Salsa dancing! Always a blast. [including the pre-outing obligatory photo shoot!]

Rebecca Murray and her sister pose in front of a painting

And we made St. Patrick’s Day Cupcakes! Man, had I missed baking.

Cupcakes with green frosting

• After that first weekend, I went to my home in north New Jersey. My break was… somewhat relaxing… but I had a lot of preparing to do for the following recital week. I was still able to spend some really awesome quality time with both of my parents, meet and make friends with my mom’s new cat, and of course eat delicious food =)
A grey cat looks up at the person taking its picture

Ellie!

• Back on campus, I went on an interview for an internship that I had found through Lafayette’s Career Vault, an online site with job and internship listings available to all students – what a great resource! The interview went really well, I love the place, and I got in! Woohoo!

Like I mentioned before, this past week has been very dance-focused. Over 12 hours of practice in 5 days! But so worth it =) Thanks for being patient with me during this crazy time, readers! I should be posting more reliably for a while now. Until next time!

posted in Rebecca Murray

tagged with , , , , , , , ,

1. was a great show

says Gebon
    March 30, 2014 at 6:26 am
  2. Congrats on all of it. Well done.

says Rich
    March 30, 2014 at 2:19 pm