May 18, 2014

End of the Year

Hi Readers!

I guess it’s now safe to say that I’m officially a senior! That’s just a bit crazy. I feel like it was just a few weeks ago that my parents were helping me move in – the toils of raising my bed, the nervous laughter when meeting new faces, the hidden (and some not so hidden) tears that accompanied goodbyes. Can all of that really have been so long ago?

Oddly enough, it has, and I’ve survived another semester, although the struggles were a bit different than last semesters. In place of intermittent internet, bullet ants, language barriers and crazy taxi drivers, there were dance recitals, feet of snow, tests and papers, and readjustment. A different semester indeed, yet still definitely one I am proud of. Although it feels like it passed in the blink of an eye, when I think back on all I did, I’m glad I had a few months to do it!

The end of the year is always a bit bittersweet. There’s the excitement that comes with the end of finals and schoolwork, but I’m always also a bit saddened on the last day of classes. Yes, a change in work and schedule is needed and welcomed, but I enjoy taking classes and learning from all of our great professors. Watching the seniors at graduation is sure to tug at my heart as well – I’ve grown especially close to a few of them, and it’ll feel so strange to not have them here on campus next year. A tree trunk sawed downThe summer brings time for some relaxation and time in the sun as well as continued learning at an internship. I’m feeling that jittery nervousness that comes with such a time of transition and change.

Luckily, I have my friends and family to support me, just as they did through my time abroad. My friends Katelyn, Gabe, Nick and I took a walk during finals week to the nearby cemetery. It sounds like an odd outing, but it was a beautiful day and the cemetery, which I had never been to, was actually really cool. It was pretty big and had been around for a long time. There were really beautiful trees and some intricate gravestones; it was a surprisingly pleasant place to take a mid-finals de-stressing stroll.

Inside a barn

Inside the really cute barn

LDCF, the Christian Fellowship, recently had our end-of-the-year picnic to recognize the seniors and spend some time together. We went to a nearby farm, had a great meal and even a bonfire with s’mores. Tomorrow, now that finals are officially done for everyone, we will head to a retreat center a few hours west for FOCUS, a time for fellowship and in-depth learning in the Word, one of the best ways to start the summer in my opinion.

Flames from a campfire

With that, I wish you all a great summer! I had a fun time writing all of these blogs, and really got a lot from doing it. Thanks to anyone who has read them! I hope you were able to get something from them too. Keep learning, smiling, eating, and don’t forget to put on sunscreen! =)

posted in Rebecca Murray

tagged with , , , , , , ,