January 24, 2015

Out On the Town: the Vibrance of Easton

Take a walk down College Hill, into the center of Easton. It is a great way to relax and clear your head during stressful times. It may be tempting to stay tucked away in the library or spend your days on College Hill, but Easton has delicious food, a vibrant community, and wonderful activities and venues to offer college students. From music to trails to trivia, Easton is the ideal college town.

On your stroll through Easton, stop inside thrift shops and the local cafes. Also, during the Farmer’s Market, check out the Artists in the Alley who offer a beautiful selection of artwork ranging from jewelry to paintings. (You may even catch some painting pigs!). You’ll certainly meet interesting people and gain a new perspective on your town.

I only recently took a walk along the Sullivan Arts Trail for the first time. Little did I know, it the trail leads to a gorgeous park with bike paths and a stream. My friend showed me to a prime fishing spot and led me through the park. This spring, I will definitely return for some outdoor quiet time. It is the perfect place to read, walk and ponder over life’s great mysteries, and go for a run or bike ride. This is definitely an underrated location right off campus!

Another route for your promenade is downtown and across the bridge into Phillipsburg, NJ. Not only do you get a gorgeous walk across the river, but there is also a hot dog and ice cream stand waiting for you on the other side! There is also a path below the bridge, which takes you along the river.

Easton is a great location for entertainment. Great bands play at The Spot, Lafayette’s venue down the hill. Check out whoever is playing, they may just become your next favorite band! This happened to me. Twenty One Pilots came to play at Lafayette. I didn’t know who they were but fully intended to go. Unfortunately my friends moved too slowly so we missed them! About a month later, they were my favorite band. Fortunately, I have been able to see them live twice, but I still kick myself for missing them at the ultimate intimate venue (before they became big). The lesson is: SEE THE BAND THAT IS PLAYING AT THE SPOT.

Von Shakes at The Spot

Von Shakes at The Spot

After learning that lesson, I went to see Von Shakes and Lafayette’s own Hoochie Coochie Men (the opening act). Both groups were incredible! Von Shakes was a new Irish group and the Hoochie Coochie Men were well-known on campus. I bought the Von Shakes EP and I saw the Hoochie Coochie Men the following year at Rivals sports bar in Easton (18 year olds were admitted as long as we left by 10:00pm! Rivals is another great option for live music.) Now Von Shakes has released a full-length album and the Hoochie Coochie Men just finished touring the country!

If you are looking to see bigger shows with bigger artists, the Sands Casino in Bethlehem is the ideal venue. Last year I saw the Wonder Years, Pierce the Veil, A Day To Remember, and All Time Low (well-known punk bands). Blink-182 even paid the Sands a visit! Also, keep in mind that NYC and Philly venues are within reach!

ADTR House Party Tour, Sands Bethlehem Event Center

Pierce The Veil, Sands Bethlehem Event Center

If you are looking for other, non-musical forms of entertainment, you can catch a film nearby at Regal Northampton Cinema 14. If you are trying to spice up the movie-going experience check out the Roxy theatre in Northampton! This theatre opened in 1921 and it has retained its classic design. This theatre has one screening area. So 1 or 2 films are played throughout the week. Catch films that are out of typical theaters. Tickets cost $6. The low cost and wonderful atmosphere of the theatre, make it worth the drive to get there!

Now let’s talk games. One of my favorite activities in Easton is Trivia Night at Two Rivers Brewing Company. You just grab a dinner table with friends and choose a team name. You do not have to be 21 to participate. This takes place every Monday night at 8:00 PM. See if you can conquer. You can pick up some new facts and impress people with your knowledge!

If you are looking to get more active in the spring or fall, head over to Two T’s (located on Sullivan Trail) for indoor and outdoor mini-golf or laser tag. Yes, they really have laser tag and yes, the indoor mini-golf is black-lit/glow-in-the-dark. Also, Easton has a bowling alley (Bar-Don Lanes), which is always a good choice for a relaxing night out. Warren Lanes, in Phillipsburg, Is another option.

There are a lot of places to explore in Easton and beyond. As a student at Lafayette, there are many accessible forms of entertainment in Easton and nearby towns or cities. Go out on the town! See all the Easton has to offer. Find a willing driver or a walking companion and you are set to explore! Try new places and become acquainted with your city. Discover your new favorite spot in town. You’ll be surprised by all you can learn from the people and places around you. Soak it all up.

posted in Alexa Gatti

tagged with , , , , , , , , , ,