March 21, 2015

Barcelona

Scott Paulis and his parents by a street in Barcelona, SpainIn case you were wondering, our picnic on Saturday was a success.  We hung out in the park, ate lunch, and played Frisbee for about three hours.

However, the most exciting thing that happened this week is that my Windows and a terrace on a building in Barcelona, Spainparents came to visit.  They flew into Barcelona on Thursday morning.  I took an overnight train there Wednesday night and met them there.  I brought Katie, Emma, and Dan along.  Gates, her twin Glynnis, and their dad were actually Scott Paulis poses with friends Katie, Emma, and Dan in front of a harbor in Barcelona, Spain, with water and boats in the backgroundon the same train as us, but they had beds.

Because my parents were dealing with Jetlag, and the rest of us slept on a train, we were all a bit tired.  We had sort of a low key day – well, as low key as any day where you walk 10.1 miles can be.  We strolled up and down the main street in Barcelona and eventually made our way to the beach.  I got to touch the Mediterranean Sea!

My mother commented, and I had the same thought, that we’ve spent so much time in history classes studying maps with the Mediterranean Sea in them.  That makes it even more exciting to see (and touch) it.  The outside of the La Sagrada Família cathedral in Barcelona, Spain

Today, we got to see some things designed by the architect Gaudi, most notably, La Sagrada Família.  This cathedral is very modern for a European cathedral.  It is so modern, in fact, that it is still under construction.  It is very geometric, colorful, and beautiful.

One of the things that I found interesting is that Gaudi designed the ceiling by hanging weights on strings.  This way, nothing but tension forces (which are compression forces in the actual structure since the string model was necessarily inverted) could exist in the structure.

Spring break starts on Thursday after school, so this week is going to be fairly busy.  I have homework in two of my classes, an essay in the third class, and an exam in the fourth all before Thursday.  On top of that, we’re in the middle of choreographing our dance recital.  That is all not to mention that because my parents are visiting this week, I am trying to spend as much time with them as possible.  I guess the silver lining is that when I leave for Italy for Spring Break on Thursday night, I won’t have any work hanging over my head and I can really enjoy the trip.The ceiling of the La Sagrada Família cathedral in Barcelona, Spain

Lights illuminate yellow and green on the ceiling of a building corridor in Barcelona, Spain

posted in Scott Paulis

tagged with , , ,