August 20, 2015

A Different Kind of Work Study

By Danielle Moore ’17

One of the big financial decisions that rests upon us as we enter into college is working: What kind of campus jobs are offered, do we have the time to work, and what will a campus job do to enhance our college experience? As someone who has two jobs on campus, I am a huge advocate of taking full advantage of being awarded work study if you are, and still seeking opportunities if you are not.

While on campus, I have worked both with the Communications department as a photographer and with America Reads as a tutor, two incredible experiences that have taught me more about myself and how to hold such a responsibility. I have gained interpersonal skills and am able to add to my resume that I have extensive experience in both working with children and with photography, two things I plan on utilizing as I trek forward in my goal to work in human rights.

A cluster of five balloons outdoors: 2 red, 2 white, and 1 yellow with leopard spots

One of my favorite photos I’ve taken during events at Lafayette with my Communications job- it’s so simple, but is reminiscent of the spirit of Lafayette (Taken at the 2014 Experience Lafayette Day)

One other thing I learned about campus jobs is that not all of them are Lafayette-affiliated. During my freshman year, a friend of mine at another school was a campus representative for a clothing company, Serengetee. Through his work, I learned about an amazing new company that works with people all over the world to create fabrics and make them into customizable clothing and accessories. Furthermore, the campus rep position benefited both the company and my friend; Serengetee gained the word of mouth from my friend and my friend got a free T-shirt (a college kid’s best friend!) and some other awesome stuff.

This summer, I also had the opportunity to be a campus rep. Students from all over the country are picked to use social media as a platform to advertise for the company in exchange for free and discounted merchandise. In addition, each rep is given a discount code to share with friends and family so that everyone can save money when going on websites like Serengetee’s.

For a broke college student, that discount can be the incentive that changes someone’s mind and gets them to buy a tank top or backpack. The reward is twofold: the buyer gets a cool, custom item, and part of their money is donated to charities around the world! Throughout the summer, we were asked to advertise through posts on social media (especially Instagram), gathering emails for the email list, and participating in contests to spread the word. I learned a lot about how to present content to a target audience, what incentives lead people to buy products, and other skills that would help in many different work environments as I search for an entry-level job in the coming years.

Danielle Moore sits near a body of water, wearing a dark Serengetee shirt with toucans pictured on the pocket

Me in my Serengetee shirt as I went on a hike with a friend this summer (those are toucans on the pocket)

So if you think you lack the time or don’t end up with a campus job, don’t discount the merit of being a campus representative for a brand. There are so many companies looking for young, tech-savvy students who want to bring new products to campuses and share their “swag” with all of their friends on social media! Big companies like Apple, Adobe, and Chipotle utilize these programs, as well as smaller companies like Pura Vida Bracelets and The Elephant Pants. Whatever you’re interested in, there is definitely a campus rep program for you!

posted in Danielle Moore