November 10, 2011

I get by with a little help from my friends.

Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you didn’t do than by the ones you did. So throw off the bowlines, Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. 

–Mark Twain

Life has been stressful recently. What I should have been doing this past weekend is finishing some papers, prepping for some job interviews and planning RA community programs for my residents. But sometimes, the opportunity comes up for you to drop all your responsibilities for a while and just do something crazy on the spur of the moment, simply because you can. So I packed a bag, threw off my college responsibility bowlines and took off from my safe little harbor of Lafayette into the big world out there. I was not going to pass up the chance to do something that would create memories for a lifetime.

This past weekend, I took a well deserved break from college life and spent two days in Philadelphia, hanging out with some close friends and Lafayette graduates whom I have not seen in a while. While I love being at Lafayette College, sometimes I just need to get off campus and clear my head. The reason I travelled to Philly was to celebrate the birthdays of two very close friends of mine. We chilled, we partied, we engaged in debauchery and we recovered the next morning and did it all one more

Soulive performing in Philadelphia @ Theater of the Living Arts

time. On Saturday, I attended a music concert at the Theater of the Living Arts (which is a few blocks from Thomas Jefferson University). My friends and I went to see a rather obscure funk/jazz trio called Soulive…and they were amazing !!! If you are into the jazz/funk genre, I strongly encourage you to check them out. They are a great band and are amazing live performers as well.

Three men in an airport. Casual Sunday morning before the crack of dawn.

I also got to meet some friends who are scattered all over the country – Philadelphia, Providence RI, Trenton NJ, Boston, Washington DC and Seattle. More importantly, each of them represented a different country – Bangladesh, Turkey, Kenya, Ethiopia, USA, Colombia and South Africa. Slowly but surely, I am building contacts for my future backpacking trip around the world.

Earlier today, I was in my public speaking class. Our topic for today’s round of speeches was a “Special Occasion Speech” where we were each given a special occasion (presenting an award, introducing a keynote speaker, giving a toast at a wedding) for which we had to interview someone in the class and make our speech about them. My classmate who interviewed me was supposed to present me an award based on my accomplishments. Granted, I already knew what he was going to talk about. But having someone get up in front of a class and talk about my work with ASB Service trips, my work as an RA at Lafayette, the trials and tribulations that involved me coming to Lafayette from India to go to college and touch on the other wonderful things I’ve done at Lafayette really made me feel all warm and fuzzy inside. Like when I get anonymous Christmas and birthday presents (so if any one of you anonymous readers of my blog want to send me a Christmas or birthday present, I will not complain. I also accept New Year’s, Valentines Day and St. Patrick’s day gifts). Sometimes, we students are so busy on College Hill that we only focus on the next big task that needs to be done without stopping to take a deep breath and pat ourselves on the back for all that we have accomplished.

Unfortunately, I have reached the end of my blog post for this week. I will now spend the next 15 minutes staring at this envelope I just received in the mail today from ETS that has my GRE results inside it. Let’s hope I actually decide to open it soon….

posted in Ryan Shroff