November 22, 2011

The Beginning of the Long Goodbye

I’ve developed a new philosophy…only dread one day at a time.
                      – Charlie Brown

Over the past few weeks, I have been constantly reminded of the fact that I am a senior and I am going to graduate from Lafayette in exactly 6 months and 1 day. You would think that graduating from college is pretty similar to graduating from high school. You should be filled with that feeling of “Oh, I don’t want to leave here but at the same time I can’t wait to start college/start something new.”

I do have that feeling frequently. But at the same time, I am also filled with a fair amount of fear and trepidation. Posing for senior class portraits, receiving emails from the Registrar and Dean of the College reminding me to apply for graduation before the end of the semester, my advisor prompting me to check my degree status to make sure I am fulfilling all my graduation and major requirements, realizing that this is my very last Lafayette-Lehigh game as a student and thinking about donating to the Senior Class Commencement Gift have all reminded me that I am going to have to leave behind my cushion of Lafayette very soon and venture out into the real world – where I have to work full time, cook all of my own meals, pay for my own laundry and wireless connection, shovel my own sidewalks when it snows and not necessarily have all my close friends within a 5 minute walk from my room. Am I dreading it? Absolutely! Is it inevitable? Unless I decide to add another major right now, it will be inevitable.

So what can I do to at least leave my mark on this campus and not feel like I was just a transient being who walked in and out of this place with nothing to show for it? One thing I am doing is being a part of the Senior Class Commencement Gift Committee. Every year, the senior class at Lafayette raises money to present to the college during Commencement, as a sort of Thank You for everything that the college has given us and to be able to influence the lives of current undergraduates for the better.

For the past few years, the senior class commencement gift has gone towards funding summer internship stipends for those students who secure unpaid internships over the summer, whether in America or even internationally. During the summer between my sophomore year and junior year, I received such a stipend to help cover the costs of an 8 week internship in my hometown in India. My internship involved working at a psychiatrist’s office in the heart of the city. I got to work directly with both the in-patient and outpatient facilities there as well as the drug and alcohol rehab facilities. I also got to sit in on various psychological assessment meetings and learned how to accurately score psychological tests.

It was a great learning experience for me, especially because it gave me a chance to apply what I had learned at Lafayette in a whole different country. That internship would not have been possible without the stipend I received, which helped cover travel and living expenses. My experience was made even sweeter knowing that my internship stipend came directly from the contributions of students from the Class of 2010 at Lafayette, many of whom were very close friends of mine.

This year, I am very excited to be one of the co-chairs for our Class Gift. Most importantly, the money that we raise will go directly towards the students and towards what students need the most. Hopefully, we can break the fundraising and participation record set by last year’s class and really leave a mark on this campus.

As I’m leaving, I decided to share with you some of the things that help me get over the feeling of dread that comes from having to graduate…here are some photos of my favorite spots on campus. Enjoy and have a great Turkey Day everyone !!!

An excellent spot to just stop and think about life - The Steps Behind Pardee

My Favorite Spot on Campus - The Statue overlooking Downtown Easton

I lived here for a Summer (Summer 2009) and it was the best Summer of my life - Watson Courts 'B' Section

This is the path I used to get to Kirby House where I lived for a semester (Spring 2010). That was a very important semester for me, personally, professionally and academically so I will always have fond memories of traveling down this path to my room every day.

This is the hill I climb up every day to get to class. Even though I hate walking up a hill every morning, I have to admit it does look pretty from this angle - Sullivan Lane near Conway House

posted in Ryan Shroff

1. It’s so hard to say goodbye. You’ll return again one day. Great post.

says johnny
    November 23, 2011 at 6:32 pm