December 22, 2011

The End is Nigh

Every now and again take a good look at something not made with hands: a mountain, a star, the turn of a stream. There will come to you wisdom and patience and solace and, above all, the assurance that you are not alone in the world. 
                                – Sidney Lovett

It is finally over. After a long, drawn out 2 weeks of exams, papers and presentations, I am one step closer to entering the real world. Sidney Lovett’s wise words above were a real help to me when I was stressed out and fed up with studying. So what did my finals schedule look like –

1. A persuasive, oral argument to my classmates about abolishing the death penalty.
2. A final paper on the role of Ayurvedic Medicines in American bio-medical and spiritual healing traditions.
3. A lab report on an experiment we conducted in class about college students’ reactions to scenes of heterosexual and homosexual sexual abuse.
4. A paper on the effect of Hinduism in India’s fight for Independence.
5. A paper outlining my viewpoints on certain key issues in American public education like the No Child Left Behind Act, the state voucher program for failing schools, the state of urban, public education in the country and what can be done to improve it and finally analyzing Supreme Court cases related to student and teacher rights.
6. A paper involving 5 observations and interviews of teachers in public and private schools in the area about their teaching styles.
7. A final exam for my Advanced Social Psychology Class focused on topics like the Death Penalty and Mate Selection in adults.

But why would I bore you with all the exciting school work I did in the past few weeks when I can instead tell you about the great plans I have lined up for winter break. So here are the exciting things I have planned for winter break –

1. Sleep
2. Work minimum wage and earn some money
3. Sleep
4. Eat Christmas food in Dec. and pizza in Jan.
5. Watch stuff on Netflix and Hulu Plus
6. Go to the gym…..or not
7. Sleep
8. Travel to Philadelphia and meet up with some friends if everything works out.

Right now I’m still on campus, enjoying the peace and quiet that comes from having the campus to myself. We haven’t had snow since the great, big storm on Halloween night and while it’s weird that we might not have a white Christmas this year, I must admit I’m enjoying the fact that it’s not as cold this year as it was over the last two years.

I just moved out of my regular room and into a temporary room for the winter break. The move out happens because there’s fewer students who stay on campus for Interim sessions and it’s easier to coordinate custodial services and security services when they are consolidated into a few residence halls instead of having a few people spread out in 15 residence halls. After an hour of packing, moving and cleaning, my new roommate and I decided to treat ourselves to some good old Mexican food from Don Juan. After hard manual labor, nothing lifts your spirits and fills you up like a burrito with extra hot salsa (I’m Indian. I like my food spicy).

Why do students stay on campus ? Some of them take Interim classes where an entire semester’s worth of classes is crammed into 3 short weeks, some are going to be taking Interim trips abroad, some are doing EXCEL research with a professor on campus, participating in an internship or externship through the Career Services office and a few students simply can’t afford a ticket to fly back home if they live too far away.

Goldfish that I am babysitting for my friend.

Now, I am going to get back to my Netflix and the 66 items I have lined up in my instant queue, starting with Season 3 Ep. 6 of Weeds and moving on to a documentary about How Beer Saved the World. I might also play with the fishes I am babysitting for my friend while he’s on the west coast.

Until next time, folks. I wish you a Merry Christmas and a Fantastic New Year.

posted in Ryan Shroff

1. Merry Christmas to you Ryan. Loved following your blog this year!

says johnny
    December 24, 2011 at 10:53 pm